Do you want to handle your DuPage County divorce without a lawyer and by using a website to prepare divorce documents?
If so, I understand why. You don’t want to pay a lawyer. Who would?
But understand this:
Online divorce websites are dangerous
I know people use those sites because they think it is the cheapest way to get a divorce in Illinois.
Here’s the problem – there is no such thing as an online divorce. This is true whether you want a divorce in DuPage County, Lake County, Cook County, Kendall County, or Kane County – or anywhere else in Illinois.
What does an “online divorce” website do?
It asks you questions then spits out documents.
In my experience handling cases for those people who used those websites, the problems created are below:
- Unlawful documents: Amazingly, the scammers behind those websites actually produce documents that violated rules set by the Illinois Supreme Court.
- Unneeded documents: the websites produce documents I have never seen before.
- Exposure to liability: I have reviewed documents produced by online divorce websites that actually will expose the person filing them to financial liability – just for filing the documents that the online divorce website has guaranteed will be accepted by the court.
Do I need a lawyer to get divorced?
You don’t need a lawyer to get divorced. But if you don’t use one, you will face the following risks:
- Filing the incorrect papers
- Failing to protect yourself from liability
- Have to waste time going back to court when you mess up the first time
- Getting fined for filing illegal papers produced by garbage online divorce sites
Avoid problems with a divorce in Illinois
Even when highly intelligent clients tell me that they have worked out everything with their spouses, it never fails that upon further prompting from me, they learn that they have not actually discussed all relevant issues with their spouse. Or sometimes, they learn they have barely touched on issues that must be discussed in much greater detail.
Here are a few examples of how a lawyer can help you avoid problems:
- Child custody: Instead of guessing at the implications of joint legal custody versus sole legal custody, a lawyer can explain it to you and talk over your options
- Child visitation: A lawyer can help you avoid agreeing to something that will likely be problematic in the future.
- Dividing assets and debts: If you don’t cover all your bases, it could cost you big money in the future. A lawyer can help you make sure you don’t get stuck with debt you don’t want, for example
- Dealing with a house: Sometimes people getting a divorce don’t know how to handle the marital home. A lawyer can help draft an agreement that protects against unexpected liability.
Want a quick divorce in DuPage County?
Contact me, a DuPage County divorce lawyer, at 312-554-5433. or online. I have previously competed a divorce in DuPage County in about 3 weeks -from the first call from the client to the actually divorce in court.